Our Sponsored Art Workshop is the first of its kind, and through your support of the NATIVE(X) brand, we can actually fund this project. Thank you!
For our inaugural class, we’re working with Crow’s Shadow Institute of the Arts located on the Umatilla Indian Reservation. This class will help us refine the idea and determine the best method to sponsor more classes on the reservation and on others.
You may be wondering what percent of your purchase contributes to these awesome classes, but to be honest, we don’t know yet either. We assure you that building a repeatable and transparent model for sponsoring art classes is at the top of our priority list.
We’ll send a newsletter in late October with a recap on the class. For now, here are the details:
- Where: Crow’s Shadow Institute of the Arts (48004 St. Andrews Road, Pendleton, OR, 97801)
- When: Three sessions
- Day 1: Introduction and design brainstorm. Tuesday 10/9 from 6pm to 8pm
- Day 2: Design finalization and screen making session. Friday 10/12 from 1pm to 5pm. No school day
- Day 3: Screen print on tee shirts. Saturday 10/13 from 10am to end.
- Who: First 12 people to sign up.
- Instructor: Yakima tribe member, Kolin Craig will lead the workshop. He has more than ten years of screen printing experience and is a respected artist and poet in the Northwest.
Thanks to Umatilla community support from Whitney Minthorn, Shalaya Williams, Pat Walters, and Bobbie Connor, the NATIVE(X) sponsored workshop has the backing of influential locals who can help spread the news. Whitney and Pat gave some quotes to help promote the class in their community:
Fashion & style are ways to say who you are without having to speak. I strongly encourage youth and teens to attend the workshop whether you’re an experienced artist or not. As Native American’s, we are all natural artists and have been for thousands of years. With this workshop you will learn contemporary skills & techniques to share a bit with the world about who you are and where you come from.
-Whitney Minthorn, www.whitneyminthorn.com
“With this FREE class, you’ll enjoy creating and eventually wearing your own masterpiece. The combination of silk screen and contemporary Native design has incredible potential.”
-Pat Walter’s, Vice President and Traditional Arts Coordinator at Crow’s Shadow
- A Pendleton blanket will be given away on Saturday at lunch.
- Tee shirts and art supplies will be provided by NATIVE(X) and Crow’s Shadow
- Snacks and drinks will be provided on Tuesday and Friday.
- Snacks, lunch, and drinks will be provided on Saturday.
- Attendance to each session is necessary to complete the class.
- This class is entirely free. Just bring yourself and a creative mind.
Until next time,
P.S. On a side note, transparency is at the heart of social business, and we plan to take that to a new level. You can expect to have a clear understanding of how we’re spending the proceeds from your purchase when we release our 2012 annual report after the holiday season.